Making your own mayonnaise is easier than people think. And it definitely tastes better than the stuff you can buy in the stores!
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 150ml oil (sunflower or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Get a bowl and put in the egg yolk. With a whisk, beat in the salt, mustard and pepper.
- Add the oil, drop by drop. Make sure the oil is absorbed completely before you put in the next drop. You don’t want the mixture to curdle.
- After you have added about half of the oil, you can add the oil faster (about a tablespoon at a time). If the mixture curdles, get a new egg yolk and place it in a new, clean bowl. Whisk in the curdled mixture (and keep whisking) and add the rest of the oil drop by drop.
- Add a little vinegar to the mixture to soften it, add the remaining oil.
- Blend in the rest of the vinegar to taste. You can store the mayonnaise in the fridge in a closed container for up to 2 weeks.
Tip: Add some fresh herbs or garlic for extra flavour!
Let your friends know how Mayonnaise is made!