One of my favourite Greek dishes is Baklava. This Baklava recipe is easy to make and super delicious! Warning: do not eat alone, because you will be tempted to eat another piece, and another, and another, and another, and…
- 250g butter, melted
- 250g walnuts, chopped
- 250g unsalted pistachios, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 packet of filo pastry
- 300g of caster sugar
- 375ml of water
- 12 tablespoons of honey
- 1 large piece of lemon peel
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a baking dish (23x33cm).
- Get a bowl. Put in the chopped nuts. Add cinnamon. Toss well and set aside.
- Get a pan. Add water and sugar. Boil until sugar is dissolved. Add honey and lemon peel. Let the sauce simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Unroll filo pastry. Cut the pastry so that it will fit into your baking dish. To keep your pastry from drying out, cover it with some foil and a damp cloth.
- Place 2 sheets of the pastry in the dish. Butter the top layer. Repeat this process until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of the nut mixture on the pastry. Top with 2 sheets of filo, butter the pastry, and add nuts. Continue layering until you have 8 sheets left, since the top layer should be about 8 sheets deep.
- Get a sharp knife. Cut the pastry in square shapes, but don’t cut all the way to the bottom (half an inch from the bottom is fine). Bake the pastry in your oven for about 50 minutes until it is crisp and golden.
- Remove from oven. Pour cooled honey sauce over it. Let it cool. For the best result, you should leave it in the fridge overnight. Don’t cover the pastry; you don’t want it to become soggy.
Tip: Use different nuts, such as pecans, almonds etc…
Share this delicious Baklava Recipe with your friends!