A popular Cantonese dish, Water Chestnut Cake is a sweet treat that melts in the mouth. This recipe is quick to make.
- 600ml water
- 100g water chestnut flour
- 2 tsp cornflour / corn starch
- 2 tsp oil
- 50g white sugar
- 50g brown sugar slab, finely chopped
- 8 water chestnuts, roughly chopped
- Grease a pan with a little oil.
- Add the water chestnut flour and cornflour to 300 ml of water and drain through a fine sieve. Stir in 2 teaspoons of oil and set aside.
- Pour the other 300 ml of water into a pot. Add the white sugar and chopped brown sugar. Cook until the sugar dissolves completely. Bring to a boil.
- Add the water chestnuts. Reduce to a low heat. Mix in the water chestnut flour mixture. Immediately stir to combine well, making sure the batter does not stick to the bottom of the pot. The mixture should become a thick but smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan. Level the surface with a wet spoon. Cover with foil and steam in a wok or steamer, for about 30 to 35 minutes. The cake should turn translucent.
- Remove the pot from the wok and leave to cool. Take the cake from the pan and slice into pieces. Serve warm immediately.
Share this Water Chestnut Cake Recipe with your friends!