This simple yet flavourful recipe for Szechuan Prawns is a Chinese favourite. Prawns are coated in a sweet, chilli sauce. Yummy!
Author: Emmy Baker
- 450g uncooked prawns
- 1½ tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped spring onions
- For the sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp chilli bean sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese black vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- For the garnish
- spring onions, sliced lengthways
- If required, peel the prawns. When using large uncooked prawns, cut them down the back and remove the digestive cord. Wash them and pat them dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat a wok or a large frying pan over a high heat. When the wok is hot, add the oil. Once it begins slightly smoking, add the ginger, garlic and spring onions.
- Stir-fry for 30 seconds and then add the prawns. Continue to stir-fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the ingredients for the sauce, season with half a teaspoon each of salt and black pepper and keep stir-frying for another 3-5 minutes over a high heat.
- Garnish with the spring onions and serve.
Share this Szechuan Prawns Recipe with your friends!