Sweet and Sour Pork is a traditional Chinese dish. It features deep fried pork and a tasty sweet and sour sauce. This authentic Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork recipe is very simple to make. This is very handy if you don’t have a lot of time for cooking, but you do have a craving for classic Chinese cuisine!
- 300g pork fillet, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sake (rice wine)
- 1 egg, beaten
- pinch bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 5 tablespoons black vinegar or balsamic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine or sherry
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- additional cornflour (for thickening)
- Put the pork in a bowl and season it with salt and pepper. Add the egg, cornflour, plain flour and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well and make sure that the pork is evenly coated.
- Heat oil to 180 degrees C. When the oil is hot enough, fry the coated pork in batches until it is browned. Put the fried pork on kitchen paper to get rid of excess oil. Set aside.
- Now it’s time to make the sauce! Combine the vinegar, the sugar, the Shaoxing rice wine, and soy sauce in a bowl.
- Preheat a wok. Pour the sauce into the wok and bring to the boil. If you want a thicker sauce, add some cornflour. If you want a thinner sauce, add water. Add the fried pork when the sauce is the consistency you like.
Share this Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe with your friends