This recipe balances sweet and sour flavours with the beef. A popular Chinese recipe, the marinated beef is stir-fried and served on spinach leaves.
- 100g fillet steak, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ chilli, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ lime, juice only
- For the salad
- handful spinach leaves, washed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Coat the steak strips with the cornflour and leave aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat. When the oil is smoking, stir-fry the steak strips and chilli for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, honey, soy sauce and sesame seeds and stir well. Bring the mixture to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the lime juice, stirring continuously.
- For the salad, place the spinach leaves into a bowl. Pour the oil and balsamic vinegar over the spinach. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground pepper and mix well.
- To serve, place the spinach on a serving plate and set the sweet-and-sour steak on top.
Enjoy your Chinese meal!
Share this Sweet and Sour Beef Recipe with your friends!