Crispy squid can be a delightful starter before any main course or a light snack during the day. Serve this Chinese recipe with sweet chilli sauce!
- 400g of Squid
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- To serve, sesame oil, coriander sprigs and sweet chilli sauce
- Smaller squid often come pre-cleaned. If buying larger ones, you can ask your fishmonger to clean it.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut open the body and open out. Rinse well, then pat with paper towels to dry. If you have a large squid, cut the body into four portions.
- Using the tip of a very sharp knife, score the top side in a neat criss-cross. Brush with oil and set aside. Heat the barbecue or griddle until ready to cook.
- Meanwhile, mix together 2 tsp sea salt, Chinese five-spice and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle on both sides of the squid just before cooking, according to your own taste. Place on the hot griddle and cook for about 1 minute on each side, until it starts to curl. Remove from the griddle and drizzle a little sesame oil over each piece. To serve, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with a bowl of sweet chilli sauce for dipping.
Share this Salt and Pepper Squid Recipe with your friends!