Chinese-style Prawns served with a chilli garlic dip. An easy-to-make recipe that tastes great! Full of flavour, this Chinese dish is light and refreshing.
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 24 large king prawns, peeled and deveined, with tails
- For the spice mix
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp sea salt flakes
- large pinch of chilli flakes
- For the dipping sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- juice 3 limes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- To make the dipping sauce: using a pestle and mortar, crush the garlic, coriander, chilli and sugar. Add the lime juice and fish sauce.
- For the spice mix: in a frying pan, toast the Sichuan and black peppercorns over a medium heat for about 1 minute. With the pestle and mortar, finely grind the peppercorns, then add the salt and chilli flakes and mix well. Put the mix in a bowl.
- Combine the spice mix with the cornflour. Pour oil, until about 7cm deep, into a large wok.
- Toss the prawns with the spice mix, shake off the excess and deep-fry for 1-2 mins or until crisp at the edges. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a baking tray lined with kitchen paper. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Share this Salt and Pepper King Prawn Recipe with your friends!