Chinese Prawn Soup is full of traditional Chinese flavours, light and refreshing. The sesame and ginger in this recipe build on the flavour of the shrimps.
- For the stock:
- 25 g (scant 1 oz) dried shrimps
- 2.5 cm (1 in) piece fresh root ginger
- 4 spring onions
- 1 whole star anise
- For the soup:
- 6 dried Chinese mushrooms, about 15 g (½ oz) in total
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2.5 cm (1 in) piece fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 55 g (2 oz) bamboo shoots, cut into thin slices
- 125 g (4½ oz) cooked prawns
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 85 g (3 oz) fine Chinese egg noodles
- fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- Put the shrimps, root ginger, spring onions and star anise in a large saucepan with 1.4 litres (2½ pints) water. The ginger and spring onions can be added whole as they will be discarded after cooking.
- Bring to the boil. Remove any scum, then cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- While the stock is simmering, rinse the mushrooms in cold water and place them in a bowl. Add boiling water and leave to soak for 20 minutes. Drain, then discard the tough stalks and cut the mushroom caps into thin slices.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large saucepan, add the ginger and cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Strain the stock and discard the ginger, spring onions, dried shrimps and star anise. Add the shrimp stock and mushrooms to the sesame oil. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the spring onions, bamboo shoots, prawns, and soy and fish sauces. Bring back to the boil, then add the noodles and simmer for 2–3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve.
Happy cooking! Don’t like cooking? Order your Chinese Prawn Soup via Chinese-Takeaway.com.
Share this Chinese Prawn Soup Recipe with your friends