Authentic Chinese flavours can be found in this Chicken with Orange Sauce recipe. The orange, ginger and chilli flakes add a rich flavour to the chicken.
- For the sauce:
- 350ml water
- 30ml orange juice
- 60ml lemon juice
- 80ml rice vinegar
- 40ml soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 100g dark brown soft sugar
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh root ginger
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped spring onion
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water.
- For the chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1cm pieces
- 125g plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- To make the sauce: pour the 350ml water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar and soy sauce into a saucepan and place over medium-high heat.
- Mix in the orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, chopped onion and red chilli flakes. Heat until boiling. Remove from heat, and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Put the chicken pieces into a resealable plastic bag. When the sauce has cooled, pour 250ml over the chicken in the bag. Reserve the remaining sauce. Seal the bag, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt and pepper. Add the marinated chicken pieces and mix to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium heat. Place the chicken into the pan, and brown on both sides. Place on a plate lined with kitchen paper to remove excess oil, and cover with aluminium foil.
- Wipe the pan, and add the sauce. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Combine the cornflour and 2 tablespoons water; mix into the sauce. Reduce heat to medium low, add the chicken pieces, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Share this Chicken Orange Sauce Recipe with your friends