Banana Fritters with a crisp coating covered in caramel! Yummy! These Chinese-style fritters are easy to make and delicious!
Author: Emmy Baker
- For the fritters:
- 175g/6oz plain flour
- 125g/4½oz cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250ml/9fl oz sparkling water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 4 bananas, peeled, cut into chunks
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- For the caramel:
- 250g/9oz caster sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- For the fritters: sift the flour, cornflour and baking powder together into a bowl. Little by little, mix in the water and sesame oil until it becomes a smooth batter.
- Add the banana pieces and mix until completely coated in batter.
- Half-fill a deep saucepan with vegetable oil and heat.
- Carefully place the bananas into the oil and deep-fry until golden brown. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and leave to drain on paper towels.
- To make the caramel: place the sugar, water and sesame seeds into a saucepan over a low heat until all of the sugar has melted.
- Increase the heat to bring to the boil and continue cooking. Do not stir the caramel. Cook until the mixture becomes a light caramel colour.
- Have a bowl of iced water ready. Remove the caramel from the heat and, one at a time, dip the banana fritters into it.
- Using a fork, turn each fritter to coat all over, then remove immediately and plunge into thebowl of iced water. Remove the fritter from the water and leave to drain on a wire rack.
Serve alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Share this Banana Fritter Recipe with your friends